Thursday, September 3, 2009

After two days, my child is allowed to attend public school

When a victory is won, it is time to step aside and let others explain its significance to you. I did. Others spoke. I listened.

Yesterday, my child attended middle school after MCPS unjustifiably kept her away for two days. Truth trumped might. If it was a victory, then my daughter's words describe its purpose well, "I hope Dad that everyone won't be afraid to ask MCPS to do the right thing for their child." If my daughter's wish comes true, I would feel it was all worthwhile.

When MCPS welcomed my child into middle school and, then unceremoniously slammed the door in her face, at first refusing to give a written reason, it had profound ramifications. What I saw in my child’s eyes was a reflection of the words of W. E. B. Du Bois. Faced with an unexpected rejection for the first time, he wrote “[t]hen it dawned on me with a certain suddenness that I was different from others; or like, mayhap, in heart and life and longing, but shut out from their world by a vast veil.” No child, be it for the repugnant reason Du Bois experienced, or any other, deserves such.

My child’s enthusiasm for education is best described in the words of a middle school staff member, emailed this morning, “bubbly and cheerful.” The day she was shut out from school that light went out. Thanks to Dr. Paulette Smith, who listened, looked at the official records of my child’s academic accomplishments, and made a courageous decision to accept my child. Yes, that light burned brightly again.

It was Dr. King, I believe, who once said “We will have to repent in this generation not merely for the hateful words and actions of the bad people but for the appalling silence of the good people.” One woman, Dr. Paulette Smith, spoke.

If there were heroes in this story, I confess they were all women. Women who showed the courage to stand up for what is right. I know Dr. Smith will suffer retribution and I hope that everyone passionate about GT will give this wonderful lady her due. Write to her, write to MCPS (copy to her), the BOE, and tell them we want more Dr. Smiths. It is only by supporting women like her (and men, too) that GT education can find its feet within MCPS. I also hope that parents in GT will be front and center in ensuring that MCPS will never again keep a child out of school. Those of you who believe in justice, fairness, and just plain ethics, please do write as well.

The email addresses are:
Dr. Smith, Paulette: Paulette_Smith@mcpsmd.org
Dr. Weast, Jerry D.: Jerry_D_Weast@mcpsmd.org
Peang-Meth, Suzanne: Suzanne_Peang-Meth@mcpsmd.org (Dr. Weast's assistant)
BOE: boe@mcpsmd.org
Marty Creel: Marty_Creel@mcpsmd.org

The education of a child should never be a political football. Let us make sure of that.

Update: Follow up blog posting here.

2 comments:

  1. The education of a child should never be a political football.
    ~~~
    Kumar, This is exactly the fight that parents of children needing special education services fight every day in Montgomery County.

    ReplyDelete
  2. May I ask the age of your daughter? I am just catching up and I am getting the impression that they did not want her in MS because she is younger than a typical 6th grader and is skipping grade levels, correct? I think this information may help other parents in the future if they are experiencing a similar situation.

    It is frustrating when bureaucracy is more important than the education of the child, especially when the message is supposed to be differentiation and what is best for the individual student. Here is an example of the MCPS administration not practicing what they preach, but the individual school doing what is best for the child and they definitely should be applauded.

    ReplyDelete

If your comment does not appear in 24 hours, please send your comment directly to our e-mail address:
parentscoalitionmc AT outlook.com